“Mommy, Mommy.” Our two girls come running into our bedroom. Everytime I look at them I just have to smile. They are twins, nearly four years old now, but they couldn’t be more different. They look quite equal, both blond hair and piercing blue eyes, no wonder with those parents, but they are completely different in character.
While one is running around in a light pink summer dress with matching sandals and her blond hair in a neat ponytail, the other one is wearing blue shorts and a light blue t-shirt. Her hair is tousled like just out of bed and of course she’s bare feet. I sigh. Just like me at that age. Not really wanting to be a girl.
“MOMMY!” I jump at that loud sound close to my ear. Shit, I daydreamt again.
“You don’t have to scream like that, Josephine Rose.” I emphasise her full name, knowing that she hates it.
“My name is Joey!” is her stubborn reply.
Lauren Rose looks at her sister. “You are a girl. Joey is a boy’s name. Right, daddy?” She directs to her dad, who is just entering the room and looks somehow exhausted. I have to hide the grin when I see him. He’s a bit older now, but doesn’t want to admit it.
“It’s a boy’s name, but if Josephine wants us to call her like that we do it.” He ruffles Joey’s hair. She beams.
“Daddy said we are going to the beach and Steph, Jesse, Jake and Romeo are coming with us too.” She’s so excited. They just love their siblings. Fortunately Jake and Romeo are not so much older than the girls.
“Really?” I look at Jon questioningly.
“Dot, just called and said it’s ok that we take them with us.” Jon looks excited as well now. He just loves it to have all his kids around him. It’s sad that it doesn’t happen more often. But it is much more difficult to bring two family schedules and six kids in line than we all thought.
“Well, then we should better pack our stuff together.” I say standing up from the bed. “Lauren, Joey…please go and get your bathing suits.” While Lauren runs off eagerly, Joey frowns. Oh, no! Not again…
“Joey! I don’t want to discuss that again. You can wear your trunks here at home in the pool. But you are wearing a bathing suit at the beach!”
With a deep sigh Joey trots from our room. I just shake my head and turn to Jon. “You look exhausted, baby. Is everything ok?” I run my fingers to his full blond hair.
“Yeah, I’m fine. These two girls are just hard to stop. They had me running around the last two hours.” I laugh slightly.
“I know what you mean. Maybe you can relax a bit at the beach.” Jon looks at me amused.
“Honey, do you really think I’ll be able to relax with SIX kids at the beach?” For a second I’m stunned then I join Jon’s laughter.
“Well, definitely not with YOUR six kids!” Jon pulls me into his arms and gives me a kiss.
“Eeeehh! Do you have to do that?” We both jump away from each other and see Joey standing at the door.
“Yeah, we have to!” is Jon’s dry answer, pulling me close again. I have to grin. “Why are you wearing your trunks, Joey? Mom told you to wear your bathing suit!” Jon looks determinant at his little girl.
“But it looks sooooo much better! Please, can I wear them?” Joey replies in a pleading tone. I take a deep breathe and try to get my temper under control. I call feel Jon’s fingers gently rubbing small circles at my lower back.
“Josephine!” …well, not really working that calming down thing…even Jon jumps a little, but keeps on massaging my back. I close my eyes a second and in a much calmer voice I say “If you are not wearing your bathing suit, you’ll stay at home with Maria.” I hope it works! Maria has her day off today!
But I can count on my little water rat. Pouting Joey says “Ok, I’ll wear the bathing suit.”
“Do you think she’ll ever like it to be a girl?” Jon asks after Joey left.
“Yeah, don’t worry. I was the same that age…and today I really like it to be a girl.” With a grin my hand runs across his chest. He pulls me stronger at his chest and with an evil grin I add “She just needs to find out what she’s missing, and then she’ll jump on the idea, believe me.” My hands find their way to his jeans.
Jon groans. “Oh, God! I’m not sure I want that day to come” I chuckle.
“You’ll survive it, honey. You did quite well with Steph” I remind him.
“Yeah, but this time I have you to talk to. Dot and I were not really….talkative at that time.” Snuggling closer to him I nod.
“I will be right here, Jon.” He flexes his strong arms around me and after a soft kiss, he whispers against my lips “I know baby…and I’ll be here to hold you in these arms.”
End.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment